<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Being the random thoughts of a middle aged overeducated physician, father, and citizen. James M. Small MD PhD. Send me a reply to jmsmall @ mycap.org.

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Novels worth rereading

Can't resist contributing to a Hugh Hewitt symposium, since his book In but not Of got me started on this project!

What books have I reread...
Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, of course. Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis I've read several times; a Buddhist friend of mine calls it a "Desert Island book" that can be read over and over. Sort of a novel, I guess. The Great Divorce also stands up to repeat reading.

I've found that the Patrick O'Brian novels (Master and Commander, et al) stand up to rereading just fine. Good nautical fiction, lots of detail, good characters. I'm a doctor with a pretty good memory, but twenty books has enough in it to surprise me on re-reading.

1984 may be worth picking up again, too. Read it in high school which was (cough) a few years ago. My daughter read it this year and so I know we have a copy.

Starship Troopers might also be worth another read (thanks to Evangelical Outpost for that suggestion.)

Oh, almost forgot! Dune by Frank Herbert was a good reread! Again, the byzantine plot and complexity of characters made that one work for me.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?