<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Being the random thoughts of a middle aged overeducated physician, father, and citizen. James M. Small MD PhD. Send me a reply to jmsmall @ mycap.org.

Sunday, July 06, 2008

The Century Continues 

Yesterday my bro and I went for a drive to look over the course of the Stonewall century ride. It is a beautiful little valley just west of Walsenburg, CO. The two lane road winds through pine and aspen forests up from La Veta to Cuchara Pass, fairly steep looking actually. I think it averages around a 3.7% grade. I came back with a new intensity to my training!

So today I went for a ride. West from home to Platte River trail, South to 470, East (up and down and up and down hills) to Tower Road, north along Tower/Potomac to try to find the Cherry Creek Trail which is Caley and Jordan, the around the reservoir. There is a good potty stop at the Tower Loop, little one-seater that I have to remember. Then down trail to Downing and home. 57 miles! Woof woof. Half Century, under my belt. I think it might be the second longest ride I've ever done, averaged a bit over 12 mpg. Longest was Tecate-Ensenada back in the 80's which I think was around 75 miles.

Ate two Cliff Bars, 250 calories@, 11 g of protein, 6 g of fat. 37 carbs. Breakfast was usual Muesli and Yogurt with Mate Tea. Then after church a peanut butter and banana sammich on whole wheat, and 3 of those SportLegs supplements. Left on ride, probably 45 min later.

Century book: carb to protein, 4:1. She says 75 gm of carbs per 30 minutes of riding (!) or 1 bar/30 min (Clif bar has less than 75 gm of carbs, about half actually.) That would have been a lot more than I ate; ride was 4 hrs, that would have been 8 bars.

Also drank 2 28 oz bottles of my electrolyte drink that has 1/8 t KCl, 3/8 t NaCl, 1/2 c sugar per 2 liters. I ccould get some powdered whey to add a bit of protein to the drink too; 4:1 ratio, once again. Since it rained a couple of times, I may have lucked out since it was nice and cool. She says 1 bottle per hour. So, again, I was at about half of what I should be. Also it is time to play with the camelback thing; how much does it hold?
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?